It’s hard to justify turning on the oven in the summer when it’s already scorching hot outside, so I’m always looking for easy protein ideas that can be made on the grill. This weekend the boys and I made the most delicious citrus and spice infused chicken that was perfectly tender and only required a handful of ingredients. The chicken is divine all on its own with some rice and a vegetable (we like Mexican rice and corn), but leftovers would make the best tacos or fajitas the next day. Tons of flavor, and very little prep time!
If you’ve never heard of Tajin before, don’t worry – I hadn’t either until I started dating a Mexican man whose family makes the most amazing Mexican food. Tajin is a seasoning blend of mild chili peppers, lime, and sea salt. It’s tangy and salty with just the slightest amount of heat. Other favorite Tajin uses: rimming a margarita glass or sprinkled on watermelon – it sounds weird, but trust me. Tajin is so good on fresh fruit.
Fresh citrus juice in the marinade helps tenderize the chicken, and the olive oil creates the perfect golden brown char from the grill. Tajin is the secret weapon of this easy recipe, and a little cilantro is all you need for a garnish.
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Tajin seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- cilantro – for garnish
- In a medium bowl, add orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, Tajin, salt, and pepper and whisk vigorously to combine. Set aside.
- Add the chicken to a large shallow baking dish (a gallon size zip-top bag will work too) and pour the marinade over the chicken, making sure all the meat is well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade and place on the grill. Cook for 5-10 minutes on each side until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove chicken from the grill and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
Sharing is caring! If you make this recipe, tag @lizlovegrowswild on Instagram!